Machine Learning Engineer
Healthcare needs good data. At PicnicHealth, we are building deep real-world datasets fueling cutting-edge research while giving patients control of their own medical record data. These complete, clinically-rich datasets produce unique insights — across dozens of diseases — to ultimately get the right treatments into patients’ hands faster. We do this by working directly with patients and leveraging state of the art machine learning to transform messy medical records into structured, research-ready datasets. To date we’ve helped tens of thousands of patients securely access their records and proactively contribute to advancing research in diseases that impacts their lives.
Founded in 2014, PicnicHealth partners with 13 of the top 30 biopharma companies and we have raised over $100 million in venture capital from investors including Amplify Partners, Felicis Ventures and B Capital Group.
And we are just getting started! If you are looking to join an award winning, mission-driven, motivated team that is making a real impact across millions of people’s lives, PicnicHealth might just be the place for you.
Machine learning is at the heart of our work and technical strategy. Our company sifts through the messy mountain of data that captures each patient’s care journey in whatever format it exists in the real world. To do that, we’ve built a human-in-the-loop AI/ML pipeline that ingests medical records and scans, converts them into structured data, and then synthesizes them into a form that is directly useful to patients, clinicians, and researchers. This process enables us to build products that improve patient/doctor communication and care decisions, or develop the next generation of data-driven life-sciences studies.
Our Machine Learning team’s goal is to capitalize on the latest technology to both expand our core capabilities and to improve the efficiency with which we process records in our existing pipeline. Our latest strategic initiatives have already begun putting large language models (LLMs) at the heart of our predictive techniques. We are looking for an ML Engineer who is fascinated by what it takes to use emerging techniques to solve real business problems today, and what it takes to launch that cutting edge tech into production at scale. In this role, you'll develop new prediction models using techniques like instruction fine-tuning on top of LLMs, build infrastructure to productionalize both training and inference, and help our team accelerate existing strategic projects.
Learn more about our Engineering Team and values here.
As an ML Engineer you will:
- Develop machine learning models to improve PicnicHealth’s product and processing efficiency
- Apply expert software development skills to help turn newly developed models into deployed services integrated within our application infrastructure
- Survey and incorporate recent advances in AI/ML research into our set of core capabilities
- Help us expand and improve our machine learning pipeline for scale, including systems for distributed training, versioning, deploying, and testing models
- Help expand a world-class ML team by attracting, interviewing, and onboarding future team members during this exciting time of growth
You are a great fit if you:
- Have a Ph.D. degree in a related technical field such as Computer Science or Physics, or have a bachelors and have built production AI/ML software
- Have hands-on experience with technologies in our stack, such as pytorch, kubernetes, and deepspeed
- Have worked on all steps required to bring an AI/ML model to production – from ideation to deployment
- Have deployed Python code into production for 3+ years
- Display a solid understanding of the latest AI/ML research trends and techniques, coupled with a commitment to continual learning and professional growth in these areas.
We expect all team members to be motivated to be amazing in their roles and, ultimately, to move the PicnicHealth mission forward.
Perks & Benefits @PicnicHealth
At PicnicHealth you get to solve real problems with real solutions, great tech, and great people.
We’re a remote first company, with teammates spread across the US. We aim for quarterly in-person gatherings, expect to travel up to 4 times a year. For our team members in the Bay Area we can offer a hybrid set up to work from the SF office on a flexible schedule.
You also get:
- Competitive salary
- Comprehensive benefits including above market Health, Dental, Vision
- Family friendly environment
- Flexible time off
- 401k plan
- Free PicnicHealth account
- Equipment and internet funds for home office set up
Equal Opportunity Statement
PicnicHealth is committed to promoting an inclusive work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We value a diverse and balanced team where everyone can belong.
Something looks off?