Senior Backend Engineer
Posted on Tuesday, February 8, 2022
Pull up a chair and join us at Patio! We’re a remote-only company of 25 building out the future of communication and growing quickly. We help colleges and students connect with each other in a safe and welcoming environment, and we've raised $8M in 2021 from investors including Forerunner Ventures (backed Glossier, Hims & Hers, Chime, Warby Parker), Redpoint Ventures (backed Stripe, Snowflake, Nextdoor, Twilio), and Abstract Ventures (backed Popshop, Poparazzi, Rippling, WorkOS). If you love the idea of working at a fast-paced startup on the cutting edge of the consumer social space, come work at Patio!
The backend team is responsible for keeping the GraphQL API (powered by Hasura), PubSub systems, and AWS infrastructure up and running to ensure our users can find new classmates, hobbies, and events every day. We are a team of builders and our work is heavily concentrated on quickly building out new features to bring new functionality to the platform. Some recent and current features include polls, converting our messaging platform to PubSub, and auto-moderation of picture uploads.
- Build new services and APIs
- Interview for and build out our backend team
- Build the foundational framework for new and existing systems
- Ensure our systems and infrastructure are secure, reliable, and performant
- Work with out engineers across the company to build out new features
- Debug production issues across multiple levels of the stack
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
You may be a fit for this role if:
- 2+ years of industry experience at high-growth startups or companies
- Experience with IaC (we use Terraform to provision AWS)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Passion for GraphQL and the surrounding ecosystem
- Hasura backed by PostgreSQL
- NodeJS (Typescript)
- Datadog & Sentry
- There are three main interviews for this role — a phone screen and two interviews (one system design and one architectural).
- You will also get an opportunity to chat with our Founder and CEO.
- If you feel like you want to showcase yourself in a different way, we are open to augmenting our interview process with a portfolio, technical writing samples, open-source work, or a heavily time-boxed coding problem.
Upon Joining the Team, in the first month you will:
- Work on and with our Hasura GraphQL API
- Bring up a copy of our stack in AWS using Terraform
- Help deploy new features and debug small bugs in our existing codebase
In the first three months you will:
- Independently build out and deploy new features
- Incrementally bring existing knowledge and best practices to better our backend codebase
- Help the team plan future projects (both long and short term)
What we offer:
- At Patio, we invest in you and believe benefits are one way we emphasize personal and family well-being. We offer healthcare coverage for you and your family, including medical, dental, and vision. We offer parental leave, paid-time off, and flexible working arrangements. Benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Meaningful equity
- 100% company-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees (67% for dependents)
- Unlimited PTO / sick leave
- Long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Mental health support + virtual care
- Annual company retreat
Even if you don’t meet all of the requirements, we encourage you to apply! If you’ve contributed to open source, have written technical articles or presented at conferences, we’d love to see that work.
Patio is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.