Engineering Manager (Frontend)
Posted on Tuesday, February 8, 2022
Pull up a chair and join us at Patio! We’re a remote-only company of 25 building out the future of communication and growing quickly. We help colleges and students connect with each other in a safe and welcoming environment, and we've raised $8M in 2021 from investors including Forerunner Ventures (backed Glossier, Hims & Hers, Chime, Warby Parker), Redpoint Ventures (backed Stripe, Snowflake, Nextdoor, Twilio), and Abstract Ventures (backed Popshop, Poparazzi, Rippling, WorkOS). If you love the idea of working at a fast-paced startup on the cutting edge of the consumer social space, come work at Patio!
We are looking for someone who can lead both of our front-end teams: the mobile team working on the React Native app and a web team working on the React web app. You'll join at a time of rapid growth for Patio and help grow and foster these teams while building exciting new features as we make Patio the "daily OS" for college students.
We have a very strong engineering culture (ex-Snap, Google, Stanford) at Patio. Working closely with the Head of Engineering, you'll play a pivotal role in shaping the future of our engineering org. We will invest in your development and do everything we can to make sure this is a career-defining experience for you.
- Lead and manage a team of 8-10 engineers
- Grow the team by recruiting and interviewing engineers
- Ensure the team is moving at a high velocity and delivering on commitments by removing bottlenecks within and outside the team
- Coach and support the team through weekly 1-1s, mentorship, and honest, transparent feedback
- Ensure high-quality technical architecture and code by reviewing technical proposals and doing code reviews
You will love this role if:
- 5+ years of professional software development experience with an expert level of knowledge of React Native, React and their ecosystems. You also have some experience with full-stack development.
- 1+ years of engineering management experience
- Communicate clearly, both in writing and verbally.
- Reside in USA/Canada: we are a distributed company that likes to minimize the time zone spread within the team.
Our Tech Stack
- React Native on mobile and React for the web
- Apollo/GraphQL to interact with a Hasura back-end
- Detox and Cypress for testing
- AWS, Hasura, Postgres and Firebase on the back-end
What we offer
- At Patio, we invest in you and believe benefits are one way we emphasize personal and family well-being. We offer healthcare coverage for you and your family, including medical, dental, and vision. We offer parental leave, paid-time off, and flexible working arrangements. Benefits include:
- Competitive salary
- Meaningful equity
- 100% company-paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees (67% for dependents)
- Unlimited PTO / sick leave
- Long-term disability insurance
- Life insurance
- Mental health support + virtual care
- Annual company retreat
Even if you don’t meet all of the requirements, we encourage you to apply! If you’ve contributed to open source, have written technical articles or presented at conferences, we’d love to see that work.
Patio is an equal opportunity employer: we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.