Senior Accounting Manager
Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first global mental health solution to offer employees access to one-on-one, group, and self-serve digital resources for their emotional, professional, social, financial, and physical well-being needs—all within a single platform. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, Y Combinator, and Battery Ventures. We partner with 330+ global companies like Lyft, Electronic Arts, Pixar, Clif Bar, Okta, and Udemy that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $170 million in less than two years with a valuation of $1.17 billion, making Modern Health the fastest entirely female-founded company in the U.S. to reach unicorn status.
We tripled our headcount in 2021 and as a hyper-growth company with a fully remote workforce, we prioritize our people-first culture (winning awards including Fortune's Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021). To protect our culture and help our team stay connected, we require overlapping hours for everyone. While many roles may function from anywhere in the world—see individual job listing for more—team members who live outside the Pacific time zone must be comfortable working early in the morning or late at night; all full-time employees must work at least six hours between 8 am and 5 pm Pacific time each workday.
We are looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission. An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you're excited about a role, we'd love to hear from you!
We are seeking a hands on Accounting Manager to be a key leader in our Accounting team. In this role, you will be involved in accounting operations, general ledger, accounts receivable, payroll, accounts payable, provider payouts and commission accounting. To support Modern Health's growth, you will help lead the implementation of systems, assist in designing our control environment, and develop new and improve existing processes and policies. Reporting to the VP Controller, you will gain exposure to senior-level decision-making team members and develop lasting relationships across the company.
The ideal candidate needs to be a dynamic self-starter with a passion for continuous process improvement in a fast paced, high growth environment and the ability to clearly communicate recommendations and lead our team to deliver results.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Hawaii.
What You’ll Do
- Assist with the day-to-day operations of the Accounting team to produce timely and accurate financial information for internal and external reporting purposes, including general ledger accounting functions, accounts receivable, payroll, accounts payable, tax, treasury and financial reporting
- Involved in managing month-end close process including financial statement analysis, profit and loss, and balance sheet fluctuation commentaries
- Involved in the general ledger activities, including the preparation of journal entries and account reconciliations
- Prepare various technical accounting analyses, policies, and procedures
- Oversee audit processes and proactively communicate with auditors on accounting for complex transactions
- Strengthen internal controls to mitigate financial risk and ensure accuracy of company records
- Organize corporate tax compliance to ensure the accurate and timely completion of all government reporting and tax filings across all geographical areas in which the company operates
- Commission accounting reconciliations and analysis
- Involved in the accounting for our professional corporation subsidiaries
Who You Are
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance; CPA license preferred, Big Four or national accounting firm experience preferred
- 10+ years of progressive accounting experience; SaaS experience preferred
- Enjoy rolling up your sleeves and getting into the details
- Experience with IPO readiness, internal controls, SEC rules and regulations
- In depth knowledge of U.S. GAAP, including familiarity with accounting positions and related guidance provided by SEC and other governing entities; specifically, experience with ASC 606 and equity accounting a plus
- Strong analytical skills and impeccable attention to detail
- Passionate about building and comfortable working in a fast-paced changing environment
- Strong people management experience and proven ability to deliver outstanding results through others in a timely manner using a strong sense of focus, organization, and thoughtful team design
- Prior IPO experience preferred
- Prior experience working for a public accounting organization preferred
- Medical / Dental / Vision / Disability / Life Insurance
- High Deductible Health Plan with Health Savings Account (HSA) option
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Access to coaches and therapists through Modern Health's platform
- Flexible Time Off
- Company-wide Collective Pause Days
- Parental Leave Policy
- Family Forming Benefit through Carrot
- Family Assistance Benefit through UrbanSitter
- Professional Development Stipend
- Financial Planning Benefit through Origin
But wait there’s more…!
- Annual Wellness Stipend to use on items that promote your overall well being
- New Hire Stipend to help cover work-from-home setup costs
- ModSquad Community: Virtual events like active ERGs, holiday themed activities, team-building events and more
- Monthly Cell Phone Reimbursement
Equal Pay for Equal Work Act Information
Please refer to the ranges below to find the starting annual pay range for individuals applying to work remotely from the following locations for this role.
Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, and experience and may fall outside of the range shown. Ranges are not necessarily indicative of the associated starting pay range in other locations. Full-time employees are also eligible for Modern Health's equity program and incredible benefits package. See our Careers page for more information.
Depending on the scope of the role, some ranges are indicative of On Target Earnings (OTE) and includes both base pay and commission at 100% achievement of established targets.
Below, we are asking you to complete identity information for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). While we are required by law to ask these questions in the format provided by the EEOC, at Modern Health we know that gender is not binary, and we recognize that these categories do not reflect our employees' full range of identities.