Head of Business Operations and Strategy
Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first global mental health solution to offer employees access to one-on-one, group, and self-serve digital resources for their emotional, professional, social, financial, and physical well-being needs—all within a single platform. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, Y Combinator, and Battery Ventures. We partner with 330+ global companies like Lyft, Electronic Arts, Pixar, Clif Bar, Okta, and Udemy that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $170 million in less than two years with a valuation of $1.17 billion, making Modern Health the fastest entirely female-founded company in the U.S. to reach unicorn status.
We tripled our headcount in 2021 and as a hyper-growth company with a fully remote workforce, we prioritize our people-first culture (winning awards including Fortune's Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021). To protect our culture and help our team stay connected, we require overlapping hours for everyone. While many roles may function from anywhere in the world—see individual job listing for more—team members who live outside the Pacific time zone must be comfortable working early in the morning or late at night; all full-time employees must work at least six hours between 8 am and 5 pm Pacific time each workday.
We are looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission. An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you're excited about a role, we'd love to hear from you!
As Head of Business Operations and Strategy at Modern Health, you will be a key member of the executive team, responsible for shaping and executing the overall business strategy while spearheading cross-functional projects aimed at advancing our business objectives both in the short and long term. This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced leader to contribute to the strategic direction of Modern Health and drive initiatives that will shape the future of the company. This role requires a blend of strategic thinking, data-driven analysis, and operational expertise to drive impactful decisions and initiatives across the organization. This role will manage a team and will report to the CFO.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Hawaii.
What You’ll Do
- Structure complex problems and conduct research and analyses to identify risks and opportunities essential for scaling the company effectively
- Turn your insights into compelling and actionable recommendations that will guide impactful product and business decisions
- Partner with leaders throughout the company to build business cases for new initiatives that address strategic issues and work cross-functionally with those leaders to ensure seamless execution of strategic initiatives
- Lead and oversee large cross-functional initiatives critical to the business's success (e.g., business performance analysis, strategic planning, etc.)
- Collaborate closely with the executive team to define and refine the company's strategic direction, ensuring alignment with organizational goals and market trends
- Lead efforts to streamline and optimize business processes, leveraging technology and best practices to drive operational excellence
- Identify and evaluate various partnership and M&A opportunities that will further the objectives of the business
- Build and lead a high-performing team, providing guidance, mentorship, and fostering a culture of innovation, accountability, and continuous improvement
Who You Are
- 8+ years of experience in consulting, investment banking, PE, VC, and/or corporate strategy/business operations in tech / startups
- Healthcare experience a major plus
- You have a “get stuff done” approach and have a demonstrated ability to thrive in a dynamic environment, willing to embrace intensity and engage in multiple mission-critical workstreams simultaneously
- Proven track record of identifying and developing business cases for strategic growth opportunities and operational enhancements, with the ability to execute projects from inception to completion
- Demonstrated success in leadership roles, with a track record of driving strategic initiatives cross functionally
- Successful history of working autonomously and adapting to various work scopes seamlessly
- Ability to present complex issues effectively through presentations, dashboards, and other communication mediums
- Humble, scrappy, and thrive in fast-paced environments, with a growth mindset and eagerness to adapt and learn new concepts swiftly
- Medical / Dental / Vision / Disability / Life Insurance
- High Deductible Health Plan with Health Savings Account (HSA) option
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Access to coaches and therapists through Modern Health's platform
- Generous Time Off
- Company-wide Collective Pause Days
- Parental Leave Policy
- Family Forming Benefit through Carrot
- Family Assistance Benefit through UrbanSitter
- Professional Development Stipend
- Financial Planning Benefit through Origin
But wait there’s more…!
- Annual Wellness Stipend to use on items that promote your overall well being
- New Hire Stipend to help cover work-from-home setup costs
- ModSquad Community: Virtual events like active ERGs, holiday themed activities, team-building events and more
- Monthly Cell Phone Reimbursement
Equal Pay for Equal Work Act Information
Please refer to the ranges below to find the starting annual pay range for individuals applying to work remotely from the following locations for this role.
Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, and experience and may fall outside of the range shown. Ranges are not necessarily indicative of the associated starting pay range in other locations. Full-time employees are also eligible for Modern Health's equity program and incredible benefits package. See our Careers page for more information.
Depending on the scope of the role, some ranges are indicative of On Target Earnings (OTE) and includes both base pay and commission at 100% achievement of established targets.
Below, we are asking you to complete identity information for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). While we are required by law to ask these questions in the format provided by the EEOC, at Modern Health we know that gender is not binary, and we recognize that these categories do not reflect our employees' full range of identities.