Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first global mental health solution to offer employees access to one-on-one, group, and self-serve digital resources for their emotional, professional, social, financial, and physical well-being needs—all within a single platform. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, Y Combinator, and Battery Ventures. We partner with 330+ global companies like Lyft, Electronic Arts, Pixar, Clif Bar, Okta, and Udemy that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $170 million in less than two years with a valuation of $1.17 billion, making Modern Health the fastest entirely female-founded company in the U.S. to reach unicorn status.
We tripled our headcount in 2021 and as a hyper-growth company with a fully remote workforce, we prioritize our people-first culture (winning awards including Fortune's Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021). To protect our culture and help our team stay connected, we require overlapping hours for everyone. While many roles may function from anywhere in the world—see individual job listing for more—team members who live outside the Pacific time zone must be comfortable working early in the morning or late at night; all full-time employees must work at least six hours between 8 am and 5 pm Pacific time each workday.
We are looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission. An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you're excited about a role, we'd love to hear from you!
You'll be given lots of responsibility and the opportunity to have true ownership as we build out the product. This is a unique opportunity to use your engineering powers to make a direct impact in people's lives. We need a Site Reliability Engineer who is enthusiastic about building reliable, scalable, and flexible systems to support our growing team, product, and user base. You'll work with other engineers to reliably release and maintain services, and help define and meet internal and customer-facing SLA's and SLO's.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Hawaii.
What You’ll Do
- Manage and orchestrate Cloud Resource (AWS) configuration using Infrastructure As Code (Terraform) to empower engineering staff to embrace a DevOps culture of Self Service Ownership
- Develop and govern Observability (Datadog) best practices for tracking platform performance and health trends to meet customer SLAs and lead technical decisions with strong supporting evidence
- Create solutions that dynamically scale based on demand with enough flexibility to pivot for fast changing project requirements while maintaining a balance of good versus perfect
- Provide strong and consistent communication updates on technical progress or blockers to keep stakeholders informed while additionally creating appropriate documentation on technical design to spread knowledge and reduce information silos
- Participate and respond to 24/7 on-call critical alerts and follow documented incident investigation procedures to reestablish customer facing feature availability
- Maintain HIPAA, GDPR, SOC-2 compliance and general security through best practice implementation
Who You Are
- 3+ years of experience in software engineering, with 2 years experience in DevOps
- Cloud Provider (AWS, GCP, Azure) experience on managing resources through Infrastructure As Code (Terraform)
- Container Orchestration (ECS or K8s) experience to confidently build, test, and release containerized applications for multiple environments and regions.
- Knowledge of Observability best practices across common cloud resources (EC2, ECS, RDS, DynamoDB, S3, SQS, Eventbridge) with experience on rolling out enhancements across a distributed platform with scale in mind.
- Experience with shell scripting for *nix systems
- Experience with Networking for web applications
- Effective at communicating ideas through writing and diagramming
- Comfortable working with a distributed development and ops team
- Familiarity with AWS: ECS and cloud hosting, Gitlab: CI/CD, Python: Django, Flask, aiohttp, Bash, Data: PostgreSQL, Redis, Monitoring: Datadog and Sentry, IaC: Terraform, Packer
- Medical / Dental / Vision / Disability / Life Insurance
- High Deductible Health Plan with Health Savings Account (HSA) option
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Access to coaches and therapists through Modern Health's platform
- Generous Time Off
- Company-wide Collective Pause Days
- Parental Leave Policy
- Family Forming Benefit through Carrot
- Family Assistance Benefit through UrbanSitter
- Professional Development Stipend
- Financial Planning Benefit through Origin
But wait there’s more…!
- Annual Wellness Stipend to use on items that promote your overall well being
- New Hire Stipend to help cover work-from-home setup costs
- ModSquad Community: Virtual events like active ERGs, holiday themed activities, team-building events and more
- Monthly Cell Phone Reimbursement
Equal Pay for Equal Work Act Information
Please refer to the ranges below to find the starting annual pay range for individuals applying to work remotely from the following locations for this role.
Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, and experience and may fall outside of the range shown. Ranges are not necessarily indicative of the associated starting pay range in other locations. Full-time employees are also eligible for Modern Health's equity program and incredible benefits package. See our Careers page for more information.
Depending on the scope of the role, some ranges are indicative of On Target Earnings (OTE) and includes both base pay and commission at 100% achievement of established targets.
Below, we are asking you to complete identity information for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). While we are required by law to ask these questions in the format provided by the EEOC, at Modern Health we know that gender is not binary, and we recognize that these categories do not reflect our employees' full range of identities.