Staff Software Engineer (Full-Stack with Back-End Focus)
Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first global mental health solution to offer employees access to one-on-one, group, and self-serve digital resources for their emotional, professional, social, financial, and physical well-being needs—all within a single platform. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, Y Combinator, and Battery Ventures. We partner with 330+ global companies like Lyft, Electronic Arts, Pixar, Clif Bar, Okta, and Udemy that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $170 million in less than two years with a valuation of $1.17 billion, making Modern Health the fastest entirely female-founded company in the U.S. to reach unicorn status.
We tripled our headcount in 2021 and as a hyper-growth company with a fully remote workforce, we prioritize our people-first culture (winning awards including Fortune's Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021). To protect our culture and help our team stay connected, we require overlapping hours for everyone. While many roles may function from anywhere in the world—see individual job listing for more—team members who live outside the Pacific time zone must be comfortable working early in the morning or late at night; all full-time employees must work at least six hours between 8 am and 5 pm Pacific time each workday.
We are looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission. An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you're excited about a role, we'd love to hear from you!
The benefit of working at a start-up is that you'll be given lots of responsibility and the opportunity to have true ownership as we build out our products. This is a unique opportunity to use your coding powers to make a direct impact in people's lives. We need a full-stack engineer who can pick up and understand complex technical areas quickly, is enthusiastic about building new products, and can develop scalable systems in a maturing service-oriented architecture. We are hiring across Tech to:
- Create best-in-class member experiences, anchored on sustainable care products that blend innovative cost-effective care modalities, drive positive outcomes, and meaningful engagement.
- Offer enterprise capabilities required to fundamentally change the future of mental health care delivery, and ensure Modern Health drives positive outcomes at scale and across the globe.
- Empower our engineers to deliver software that is high-quality, secure, and scalable.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Hawaii.
What You’ll Do
- Full stack web application development with a focus on backend
- Build and maintain GraphQL APIs powered by Python services (Django, Flask)
- Engineer efficient and reusable systems that drive complex web and mobile applications
- Maintain HIPAA and GDPR compliance and general security through best practice implementation
- Tackle tough design and product problems
- Work collaboratively with design and product to deliver delightful user experiences
- Write and maintain technical documentation, unit tests, and integration tests
- Be a thought leader
- Python, Django, Flask, aiohttp
- PostgreSQL, Redis
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) including ECS, RDS, Cloudfront, etc.
- On the frontend: React, TypeScript, Redux, Webpack
Who You Are
- 8+ years of relevant software development experience in one or more general purpose programming languages
- At least 2+ years of production experience in Python and Django strongly preferred
- Experience building and maintaining GraphQL and/or REST APIs
- Experience with scaling relational databases (e.g. PostgreSQL) and writing performant queries
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively with and mentor a distributed development team
- Passion for building something to improve the lives of others
- Experience leading and architecting large-scale projects as a technical thought leader
Bonus points if you have experience in
- Experience on IAM products related to authentication, authorization, SSO, MFA, SIEM and/or enterprise security protocols like SAML, OIDC, API Access Management
- Experience with SFTP File Ingestion and/or HRIS APIs
- Working with AWS or other cloud platforms
- Working at a high growth startup
- Working on SaaS software
- Working in Health Tech or HR
- Medical / Dental / Vision / Disability / Life Insurance
- High Deductible Health Plan with Health Savings Account (HSA) option
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Access to coaches and therapists through Modern Health's platform
- Generous Time Off
- Company-wide Collective Pause Days
- Parental Leave Policy
- Family Forming Benefit through Carrot
- Family Assistance Benefit through UrbanSitter
- Professional Development Stipend
- Financial Planning Benefit through Origin
But wait there’s more…!
- Annual Wellness Stipend to use on items that promote your overall well being
- New Hire Stipend to help cover work-from-home setup costs
- ModSquad Community: Virtual events like active ERGs, holiday themed activities, team-building events and more
- Monthly Cell Phone Reimbursement
Equal Pay for Equal Work Act Information
Please refer to the ranges below to find the starting annual pay range for individuals applying to work remotely from the following locations for this role.
Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, and experience and may fall outside of the range shown. Ranges are not necessarily indicative of the associated starting pay range in other locations. Full-time employees are also eligible for Modern Health's equity program and incredible benefits package. See our Careers page for more information.
Depending on the scope of the role, some ranges are indicative of On Target Earnings (OTE) and includes both base pay and commission at 100% achievement of established targets.
Below, we are asking you to complete identity information for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). While we are required by law to ask these questions in the format provided by the EEOC, at Modern Health we know that gender is not binary, and we recognize that these categories do not reflect our employees' full range of identities.