Chief of Staff to the Chief Operations Officer
Modern Health is a mental health benefits platform for employers. We are the first global mental health solution to offer employees access to one-on-one, group, and self-serve digital resources for their emotional, professional, social, financial, and physical well-being needs—all within a single platform. Whether someone wants to proactively manage stress or treat depression, Modern Health guides people to the right care at the right time. We empower companies to help all their employees be the best version of themselves, and believe in meeting people wherever they are in their mental health journey.
We are a female-founded company backed by investors like Kleiner Perkins, Founders Fund, John Doerr, Y Combinator, and Battery Ventures. We partner with 330+ global companies like Lyft, Electronic Arts, Pixar, Clif Bar, Okta, and Udemy that are taking a proactive approach to mental health care for their employees. Modern Health has raised more than $170 million in less than two years with a valuation of $1.17 billion, making Modern Health the fastest entirely female-founded company in the U.S. to reach unicorn status.
We tripled our headcount in 2021 and as a hyper-growth company with a fully remote workforce, we prioritize our people-first culture (winning awards including Fortune's Best Workplaces in the Bay Area 2021). To protect our culture and help our team stay connected, we require overlapping hours for everyone. While many roles may function from anywhere in the world—see individual job listing for more—team members who live outside the Pacific time zone must be comfortable working early in the morning or late at night; all full-time employees must work at least six hours between 8 am and 5 pm Pacific time each workday.
We are looking for driven, creative, and passionate individuals to join in our mission. An inclusive and diverse culture are key components of mental well-being in the workplace, and that starts with how we build our own team. If you're excited about a role, we'd love to hear from you!
The Chief of Staff to the Chief Operations Officer will partner with the COO and their leadership team across Sales, Client Success, Operations, Legal, Clinical Research, and Marketing. The CoS will build strong cross-functional partnerships both inside and outside the business unit and lead a portfolio of strategic long-range initiatives.
The CoS will be a strategic thought partner and provide a sounding board while sharing perspectives with the COO and Modern Health’s executive team. Over time, the CoS will develop trust to become a proxy for the COO, making decisions and driving prioritization of time and effort through their relationship as a trusted advisor.
This position is not eligible to be performed in Hawaii.
What You’ll Do
- Maximize the time of the COO and leadership team
- Create content for internal and external purposes (company presentations, investors presentations, external interviews and appearances, key mtgs etc.)
- Communicate priorities and results to the larger organization, while ensuring deliverables are met. Have a strong pulse and feedback loop on organizational needs.
- Identify and take on ad hoc strategic projects - everything from defining new opportunities to executing cross-functional initiatives, and closing the gaps in business and operations.
- Lead leadership team meetings, prepare agendas and follow-through on action items.
- Use cross-functional knowledge and seek to understand issues, trends, and perspectives that may influence the business. Connect the dots for key stakeholders to drive increased alignment.
- Project manage key cross-functional work streams to ensure the team is aligned to accomplish key deliverables
- Manage strategic planning, budgeting processes, and executive communication preparation
- Work with leaders to develop OKRs, ensure alignment, and support measurement
Who You Are
- The ideal candidate has both hands-on experience and a tenured leadership foundation in the following areas: planning & process, budgeting/financial planning, organizational change, communications & strategy execution
- Ability to comfortably dive into any area of the business or product, understand business needs, and facilitate executive decisions
- 7+ years experience in combination of operations, product management, program management, strategy, investment banking, venture capital, operations, supply chain, consulting, or an equivalent field
- Ability to track, prioritize, and drive multiple concurrent projects to success. This position is expected to utilize data and metrics to communicate needs with the ease of a business unit owner
- Excellent communicator in written and verbal form; ability to work well with executives, and able to lead and influence across multiple levels and multiple functions of an organization
- Entrepreneurial, with a high tolerance for ambiguity and complexity, and efficient with limited resources
- Extensive knowledge of Enterprise Go-to-Market organizations
- Bias for action and a mentality that no job is too big or too small
- Medical / Dental / Vision / Disability / Life Insurance
- High Deductible Health Plan with Health Savings Account (HSA) option
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Access to coaches and therapists through Modern Health's platform
- Flexible Time Off
- Company-wide Collective Pause Days
- Parental Leave Policy
- Family Forming Benefit through Carrot
- Family Assistance Benefit through UrbanSitter
- Professional Development Stipend
- Financial Planning Benefit through Origin
But wait there’s more…!
- Annual Wellness Stipend to use on items that promote your overall well being
- New Hire Stipend to help cover work-from-home setup costs
- ModSquad Community: Virtual events like active ERGs, holiday themed activities, team-building events and more
- Monthly Cell Phone Reimbursement
Equal Pay for Equal Work Act Information
Please refer to the ranges below to find the starting annual pay range for individuals applying to work remotely from the following locations for this role.
Compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors, including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies, and experience and may fall outside of the range shown. Ranges are not necessarily indicative of the associated starting pay range in other locations. Full-time employees are also eligible for Modern Health's equity program and incredible benefits package. See our Careers page for more information.
Depending on the scope of the role, some ranges are indicative of On Target Earnings (OTE) and includes both base pay and commission at 100% achievement of established targets.
Below, we are asking you to complete identity information for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). While we are required by law to ask these questions in the format provided by the EEOC, at Modern Health we know that gender is not binary, and we recognize that these categories do not reflect our employees' full range of identities.