Senior DevOps Engineer
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2023
Marco Polo is a video chat app created for one simple and significant purpose—to help people feel close.
We're currently seeking a Senior DevOps Engineer to help us scale out our cloud infrastructure and platform services as we continue to grow. The person in this role will help build and operate the software platform at the foundation of our production environment. They will partner with our client and backend engineering teams to ensure that our applications can be deployed efficiently and operated reliably at scale. A great candidate for this role is someone who excels at building and managing fault-tolerant auto-scaling services and is an expert at distributed cloud infrastructure.
In this position, you will:
- Build cloud infrastructure at petabyte scale:You will play a key role in building the platform as we broaden the capabilities of Marco Polo. Your software will power a system that handles petabytes of data and millions of users. You’ll have the opportunity to design distributed systems and ensure they operate reliably at large scale.
- Maintain the highest level of site reliability:You’ll be responsible for maintaining the service to a high level of reliability, through rapid triage of production issues, performing regular upgrades, participating in on-call, and by sniffing out potential issues before they affect our users. You’ll sift through logs and root-cause problems on client and server.
- Produce solid code: You’ll work with a variety of languages, especially Python, Go, and Terraform. You’ll develop tools to help diagnose problems, automate tasks, and manage core infrastructure. You’ll help us raise the bar for the entire team on our code quality and speed.
- Bring best practices and mentor others: As a senior on the team, you’ll learn about and educate others on new technologies and best practices to expand and augment our existing platforms. You’ll provide guidance and mentorship to other team members, in an effort to help uplevel the entire team.
Ideally, you have:
- 5+ years of experience in backend server development.
- Professional experience with Python, bonus if you also have Go experience.
- Experience with managing infrastructure and deploying applications on AWS or another cloud provider, preferably using Infrastructure-as-Code tools such as Terraform or CloudFormation.
- Familiarity with Linux command-line environments.
- Experience with a key-value data store such as Redis.
- Experience with debugging and troubleshooting software systems.
- A strong foundation in computer science, data structures, algorithms and software design.
- The ability to work in a fast-paced environment, supporting multiple projects at once.
- Strong and effective interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills to work successfully in a 100% remote team environment.
Benefits and Perks
- 100% coverage for employee-only medical, dental, and vision base plans, plus generous coverage for your dependents. Plan upgrades are also available.
- Benefits that support your mental health and emotional well-being.
- Flexible paid time off, self care days, generous company holidays, 12 weeks paid parental leave for all new parents, and a work schedule built to fit your real life.
- 100% remote, anywhere in North America. Stipend for a coworking space.
- Quarterly in-person and virtual team retreats, all expenses paid.
- Compensation: Our cash compensation package is made of up two components - base pay and equity in the company. The target salary for this position is $155,000 to $180,000 per year. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors including knowledge, skills, and experience, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
If you’re on the fence about whether you’re a fit, go ahead and apply! We’d love to hear from you. Each application is reviewed by a real, live human who understands that each candidate’s unique lived experience is more valuable than buzzwords on a resume.
A bit about us:
Marco Polo is private video chat for your real relationships - not the entire world. Our video chat app allows you to send a video message at your convenience, and your friend or family member can send back whenever they can. With millions of people already benefiting from this new way of using technology to nurture their relationships, we’re proving that we can reject harmful but profitable business practices and build products that are good for you.
In June 2020, we launched Marco Polo Plus, a subscription plan that offers a premium experience. We aim to be a sustainable business while remaining free in a way that upholds our brand promise to be good for you. Plus delivers on our promise to monetize without ads or selling user data.
Though our backgrounds are diverse, we share a belief—lives flourish when people feel close. That common inspiration keeps us aligned with our purpose as a team, which is scattered across 16 states (so far), coast-to-coast throughout North America.
The distance doesn't slow us down. We keep the engine humming from our homes, co-working spaces, and coffee shops—connecting with daily Zoom calls, and retreats. Whether collaborating through Slack, video calls, or of course Marco Polo, our team knows how to keep connected—it’s what we do best!
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We can add teammates from anywhere in North America.
See more open positions at Marco Polo
Something looks off?