Head of Security
At Level, we believe using your benefits should be as easy as buying a cup of coffee. We’re unlocking the full value of compensation by rebuilding benefits as a simple payments experience — fast, flexible, and transparent. Our mission is to empower people to build better financial futures, and we’re accomplishing that by transforming the status quo of benefits.
Level is a B2B2C fintech company comprised of a diverse team from industry-leading companies like Square, Oscar, Google, Uber, and Airbnb. Together, we’re creating a new payments tech stack to help employers offer more accessible and personalized benefits for their teams — and this is just the beginning.
At Level, collaboration is our superpower. By leveraging each other’s strengths and curiosity, we’ve been able to build a best-in-class product, culture, and business. Plus, our employee benefits are so awesome that we let our customers buy them too.
What You'll Do:
- Define Level’s security roadmap
- Get hands-on with implementation, design, and execution
- Work directly with our research teams to protect our core assets
- Ensure compliance with relevant frameworks, such as PCI-DSS, HIPAA, SOC 2, ISO-27001, and conduct compliance audit in collaboration with legal, IT, and other teams
- Maintain and develop security documentation to reflect design and best practices in areas such as network security, data flow diagrams, and related topics
- Support on-call activities such as incident response, daily log/dashboard reviews, and design and code reviews
- Lead customer security interactions, answer questionnaires, and confidently represent Level during security reviews to build customer trust
- Conduct annual vendor reviews and assess ongoing vendor risk management
- Proactively identify and mitigate security threats
- Build and evangelize security policies, programs and best practices
Who You Are:
- 10+ years of security experience
- 3+ years leading and managing teams in a fast-paced environment
- Strong experience in protecting at least one cloud platform and a willingness to become an expert with AWS
- Deep knowledge of attack surfaces for enterprise systems and services
- Experience defending against state-level actors a plus
- Willingness to dive in to problems to formulate plans and drive execution
- Expertise in thinking through insider threat scenarios
- Experience defining threat models for a small or medium size organization
- You have strong written and verbal communication skills, building strong relationships with stakeholders and teams around the organization
- Excellence in problem-solving, strategic thinking, and collaboration with cross-functional teams
- Experience working with highly sensitive confidential information ideally financial and/or health data
What We Offer:
- Competitive salary and equity
- Remote first, with an office in NYC (HQ) as an option to work from
- For those not in the NYC area, we offer up to $500 monthly for renting a co-working or office space
- 100% employer paid medical
- 100% employer paid dental through Level with a $2,500 benefit allowance
- 100% employer paid vision through Level with a $600 benefit allowance
- Generous additional fringe benefits offered through Level’s platform:
- $25 monthly through our R&D funds to help stress-test new products and features
- $150 monthly through our Wellbeing lifestyle spending account
- $500 in New Hire Office Funds available in your first 90 days to assist with getting your remote workspace set up
- $1,000 annually through Level’s Mental Health EAP
- $3,000 annually in Education benefits (made available upon your 1 year anniversary) that can be used to continue professional education or be applied towards student loan payments
- $4,000 lifetime balance through our Medical Travel EAP
- $5,000 annually through our Gender Affirmation Fund
- Flexible paid time off: take the time you need when you need it!
- 10 days of paid sick leave per year
- Company paid STD, LTD and life insurance
- Voluntary life, legal and pet insurance
- 8-16 weeks of paid parental leave
- Quarterly company sponsored events
- The chance to work at a leading innovator and trailblazer in the world of benefits and payments!
This position has a minimum base salary of $236,000 and a midpoint base salary of $263,000. The base pay may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. In addition to a competitive base salary this position is also eligible for equity awards.
Level is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment for all. Please apply to this role if you feel you are a good fit, regardless of your race, color, religion, gender identity, sex, sexual preference, sexual identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, military status, or any other perceived limiting factor. We welcome applicants from all walks of life.
E-Verify Program Participant: Level participates in the Department of Homeland Security U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' E-Verify program (For U.S. based applicants and employees only). Please click below to learn more about the E-Verify program: