Founding Engineer at General Collaboration
GC connects comments across all the docs and apps people like us use at work (Google Docs, Figma, Jira, Slack, etc.). This way our teams can work together on projects instead of being stuck in silos.
Similar to Grammarly’s UX, GC sits on top of the existing in-app commenting features we all already use. GC starts as a single-player tool for product managers, spreads from teammate to teammate, and once broadly adopted becomes the horizontal layer on top of all the work and collaboration that take place on product teams. No new app. No new inbox. Just better teamwork by super powering a habit we all already have.
ABOUT THE ROLE
GC is hiring a full-stack developer to join its founding team. You’ll help build our product from scratch, taking a lead role in designing the entire backend architecture as well as building out individual product features. GC is an early stage startup, so expect a lot of experimentation as we work to identify solutions to unknown problems.
In addition, as a founding engineer you’ll help set the foundation for our team, both from a technical and cultural standpoint. You’ll make high-impact decisions, define processes, set the bar in terms of execution pace and quality, and drive how we interview future team members going forward.
You’ll build incredible things but you’ll also be a leader. You (and all of us) will wear many hats to start. As the company grows there will be incredible opportunity for you to grow with it.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- We’re backed by top-tier VC firms, so despite being early stage we offer highly competitive compensation.
- As a founding team member you’ll be incentivized with an outsized equity package. If we’re successful this will represent a life changing sum of money.
- We’re building a remote-first company. You can come join us in New York or San Francisco if you’d like but you’re free to work from anywhere.
- We work flexible hours, offer unlimited PTO, and have multiple company-wide days off. We’re a team of A-players who give 100% but we know it’s important to recharge as well as be there for the people we care about.
- You’ll have a $5,000 onboarding budget to spend on whatever work equipment you need to do your best work.
- 1.75% - 2.5%
- We reimburse for your home internet and mobile phone.
- We offer top tier health, vision, and dental insurance.
- We want to support you every way you can. You’ll have the freedom to learn, freedom to travel, freedom to choose to do anything you think will help set you, the team, the product, and the company up for success. We’re looking for drivers, not passengers.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
Note: If you don’t check all these boxes, apply anyway. If you’re overqualified and interested, apply anyway. The bottom-line is we’re looking for smart, driven people who want to build something incredible with us.
- 4+ years of software engineering experience, with familiarity with a backend programming language (like Python, Golang, or Node)
- Experience with relational databases (like Postgres)
- Experience working on cloud services like AWS, automated deployments, and basic system administration
- Experience designing and architecting reliable distributed systems
- Experience with frontend frameworks that will allow for quick prototyping and iteration
- Ability to write high performance, reliable, and maintainable code
- Love for learning and ability to quickly become productive with new technologies
- Experience making tradeoffs between speed and scalability
- Interest/experience with product-led growth
- Ability to work independently
- Experience or interest in supporting our recruiting efforts, writing technical blogs/content, and contributing at conferences
AFTER THIS ROLE / WHAT MIGHT YOU DO NEXT
The hope would be that as GC grows that you’ll want to grow with it. The most likely promotion path would be to CTO or Head of Engineering, but depending where your passions lie Head of Product or other roles like that may make sense for you, too. There is also a path forward where you stay an individual contributor, graduating into a staff engineer or chief architect-type role.
If/when you decide to leave GC you could leave for similar roles to the ones above, but you also might want to found your own startup or even become a venture capitalist. Expect our full support (and personal investment!) if you want to take one of these paths.
Whatever your ambition you can count on all the support in the world from us as well as our investors in getting there. And of course we expect the same from you as we support the rest of the GC team as well.
We’re committed to building a culturally diverse team and strongly encourage you to apply regardless of your location, background, race, gender, sexual orientation or any other personally defining attribute. We encourage every person who is interested to apply. We’re imperfect communicators, so think of our job postings as the starting point for discussion rather than proof that you shouldn’t apply. Take the leap - you never know, you might just be the perfect person for one of our open roles, even if you don’t 100% match the job description.