South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, February 9, 2024
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle-mile and needs faster, better solutions - while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
As Chief Architect you will oversee all engineering activities related to product development across various vehicle systems. You will support a wide range of engineering leads to ensure the cross functional integrated product designs support the development of our hybrid UAV. Reporting directly to the VP of Engineering, your leadership will drive multidisciplinary teams to achieve program goals and revolutionize the future of autonomous aircraft.
This is an onsite, full-time, salaried, exempt role based in South San Francisco with some travel to our flight test facility in Byron, CA.
What you’ll own:
- Establish system requirements and conduct functional decomposition to define subsystem functionality and interfaces
- Determine subsystem ownership based on maturity, characterization, performance, and cost
- Act as the technical interface with customers during proposal efforts and presentations
- Oversee product development, from developmental testing to production readiness review
- You will represent a leadership function providing technical oversight and mentorship to various project Chief Engineers within the division
Our ideal candidate:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering, Physics, or a related field, and typically 10+ or more years of relevant technical experience, preferably in aerospace
- Candidate must have good communication skills, strong interpersonal skills, and good oral and written presentation skills
- Thorough understanding of the R&D development life cycle including requirements generation, design, manufacturing, integration, and test
- Advanced knowledge and understanding of industry best practices and techniques for product development
- Proven ability to work with department-level business leaders and to provide technical leadership across the organization
- Prior experience developing and maintaining product line technical baselines that support multiple programs, ensuring consistency, continuity, and configuration control
- Expert understanding of the tradeoffs in product and system performance and reliability across different applications
- Action oriented with a bias toward swiftly moving from concepts and ideas to tested and validated realities
- Proven leadership abilities inclusive of successful change management, mentoring, career development, training, succession planning, and enforcing accountability
- Demonstrated ability to quickly grasp technical concepts and understand complex technical and program interdependencies
- Possess a strategic mindset, linking technology and business
- Team oriented with the ability to work independently with minimal supervision
Bonus points for:
- Experience developing eVTOLs from concept through full-scale flight test
- Understanding product development of uncrewed aircraft
- Understanding of aircraft flight sciences
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive pay + equity package
- Comprehensive insurance options for medical/dental/vision/long term disability/life + optional plans for commuter accounts, pet insurance, legal help, and more!
- Retirement planning: 401(k) with company contribution
- 3 months fully paid parental leave
- Highly flexible vacation policy- that we actually want you to use!
- Employee Assistance Program with 24/7 support
- Developing Employee Resource Groups (Affinity Groups) for underrepresented groups
- A kind, diverse, and highly skilled team
- You'll help define a new category of aerospace / logistics / robotics, and you'll work on novel and never-before-built systems
- As an early addition to a quickly growing team, you'll help shape and define company culture and values
- Flexible work arrangements (we understand you have a personal life)
Elroy Air's compensation package includes market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, and great benefits. If you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, our expected cash compensation for this role is $300,000 - $375,000. We are hiring for multiple levels and backgrounds so final offers may vary from the amounts listed based on experience, expertise, and other factors.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren't an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.
Elroy Air does not engage with external recruiting agencies/individual recruiters that we do not have a written agreement with and all employment activities are managed through our People & Places team. We reserve the right to make use of any unsolicited resumes received without being responsible for payment of any fees asserted from the use of unsolicited resumes.