Mechanical Engineer - Mechanical Systems
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, December 21, 2023
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle-mile and needs faster, better solutions - while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
As a Mechanical Engineer you will be responsible for designing, analyzing, building, and testing the flight-critical mechanical systems that bring our autonomous cargo UAV to life. You will work on a range of mechanical and structural systems, driving mechanical design and decision making that enables aircraft testing and flight.
This is an onsite, full-time, salaried, exempt role based in South San Francisco with as needed travel to our flight test facility in Byron, CA.
What you’ll own:
- Designing and developing vehicle subsystems (primary and secondary structures, flight control surface and actuation systems, rotors and propellers, landing gear, and/or thermal management systems, etc.), from system architecture through integration
- Providing subject matter expertise, technical review, design guidance, and mentoring
- Understanding program objectives and requirements sufficiently to conduct trade studies and define architectures, requirements, and interfaces between subsystems
- Developing subsystem and component requirements compatible with safety, performance, and business objectives
- Managing functional and physical interfaces between the vehicle subsystems and the vehicle
- Performing analysis and test to verify subsystems and components meet performance and safety requirements
- Communicating information about vehicle subsystem design, requirements, and performance with all stakeholders
- Selecting and managing suppliers/partners to ensure components are within budget, schedule, and specification
- Preparing and presenting at gated design reviews to demonstrate the adequacy of the design
Our ideal candidate:
- MS in Mechanical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, or a related discipline
- 7+ years of experience as a professional Mechanical Engineer, directly related to vehicle subsystem design in the automotive, aeronautical, and/or space industries
- Proficiency with SolidWorks or similar CAD software, including PDM/PLM and data release processes
- Proficiency with MBD and GD&T
- Experience with complex mechanical, structural, and thermal management system design and analysis
- Experience with vibration, shock, thermal, and corrosion environmental testing and analysis
- Extremely capable in applying first principles, hand, and computer-aided analysis techniques to guide and prove mechanical designs
- Understands the intricacies of production processes including but not limited to sheet metal, composites, 3D printing, machining, waterjet and laser cutting, welding, bonding, etc.
- Is kind, respectful, and direct using strong verbal and written communication skills. Open to giving and receiving feedback.
- Thrives in a dynamic hands-on environment
Bonus points for:
- Experience with ASME Y14.5 GD&T
- Experience with lift + cruise or tilt-rotor EVTOL platforms
- Experience with FEA (NASTRAN, ANSYS, or similar)
- Proficient with FEMAP, NX Nastran, Matlab, Mathcad, Labview, and/or Python
- Prior experience designing, fabricating, testing, and operating airworthy primary and secondary structures, flight control surface and actuation systems, rotors and propellers, landing gear, and/or thermal management systems
- Experience developing components for weight-constrained applications
- Working knowledge of Part 21 FAA aircraft type certification processes and Part 23 and Part 27 airworthiness standards. Experience with the requirements, means of compliance, and methods of compliance.
Elroy Air's compensation package includes market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, and great benefits. If you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, our expected cash compensation for this role is $150,000 - $220,000. We are hiring for multiple levels and backgrounds so final offers may vary from the amounts listed based on experience, expertise, and other factors.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren't an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.
Elroy Air does not engage with external recruiting agencies/individual recruiters that we do not have a written agreement with and all employment activities are managed through our People & Places team. We reserve the right to make use of any unsolicited resumes received without being responsible for payment of any fees asserted from the use of unsolicited resumes.