Wire Harness Technician
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, July 13, 2023
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle-mile and needs faster, better solutions - while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
As Wire Harness Technician on the Production Team, you’ll be responsible for build, assembly, and integration of electrical systems on Elroy’s VTOL aircraft. This will include low voltage wire harnesses for avionics, as well as higher voltage harnesses for propulsion, actuation, and powertrain. Your peers will be other technicians on the Production team, specializing in composites, airframe, and Powerplant mechanics. You will also work closely with other teams, including Manufacturing engineering, Powertrain, and Test & Integration engineering.
This is an on-site, full-time, non-exempt role based at our headquarters in South San Francisco, CA. Some travel will be required including, but not limited to, visits to flight test locations to ensure we hit key milestones.
What you'll own:
- Hands-on build and assembly of electrical systems Integration of wire harnesses onto our top-level fuselage, empennage, and wing composites structures
- Continuity testing of harnesses for quality
- Repair, modification, and troubleshooting of complex electrical systems
- Support and improvement of Elroy’s safe electrical practices
Our ideal candidate:
- 5+ years experience in hands-on fabrication practices with a focus on electrical systems, wiring, and assembly
- Capable of working with energized circuits according to all safety requirements
- Understands the methods and techniques necessary for safe operations of High Voltage battery systems
- Understands wiring and electrical theory
- Able to competently build, fit, assemble, connect, and route cabling and wire harnesses throughout our vehicles in prototype, development, and production environments
- Understands traceability, labeling, and diagnostic & QA testing needs as part of the build, test, and integration phases of production
- Able to fabricate, fit, assemble, and connect a broad variety of aerospace grade materials and assembly components
- Able to read, interpret, and understand engineering drawings, wiring drawings, work instructions, sketches, quality, and planning documentation
- Self-starting and proactive attitude with the ability to work within an interdisciplinary team
- Solid verbal and written communication skills in order to effectively interact with teammates and mission-critical documentation
- Diligent, safety conscious, and familiar working within FOD controlled environments
Bonus points for:
- Experience with systems comprising a diverse set of hardware interfaces, communications buses, peripheral devices, and sensors
- Experience with the testing of large (1000lbs +) UAVs, VTOL aircraft, and/or crewed aircraft, complex robotics systems, automobiles, etc.
- Private Pilot or higher rating
- Remote Pilot certificate
What's in it for you:
- Competitive pay + equity package
- Comprehensive insurance options for medical/dental/vision/long term disability/life + optional plans for commuter accounts, pet insurance, legal help, and more!
- Retirement planning: 401(k) with company contribution
- 3 months fully paid parental leave
- Highly flexible vacation policy- that we actually want you to use!
- Employee Assistance Program with 24/7 support
- Developing Employee Resource Groups (Affinity Groups) for underrepresented groups
- A kind, diverse, and highly skilled team
- You'll help define a new category of aerospace / logistics / robotics, and you'll work on novel and never-before-built systems
- As an early addition to a quickly growing team, you'll help shape and define company culture and values
- Flexible work arrangements (we understand you have a personal life)
Elroy Air's compensation package includes market competitive pay, equity for all full time roles, and great benefits. If you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, our expected cash compensation for this role is $35 - $50/hour. We are hiring for multiple levels and backgrounds so final offers may vary from the amounts listed based on experience, expertise, and other factors.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren't an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.