Senior Vehicle Integration Engineer
Posted on Friday, July 7, 2023
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle-mile and needs faster, better solutions - while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
As a Senior Vehicle Integration Engineer, your mission is to ensure the quality and safety of our vehicle hardware and software systems by conceiving test plans that tackle a broad array of aero, structural, mechanical, electro-mechanical, and software challenges to rigorously stress test the integrated vehicle systems and components. As the final gatekeeper for product quality, your role is critical to the success of Elroy's autonomous air cargo systems. You will work closely with our Vehicle Engineering, Powertrain, Industrial Design, and Avionics & Flight Controls teams to ensure complete test coverage.
This is an on-site, full-time, exempt role based out of our flight test facility in Byron, CA.
What you’ll own:
- Integrating and debugging complex systems involving electrical and electro-mechanical devices on aircraft
- Determining appropriate construction/assembly methodologies and then executing the builds and assembly of aircraft, fixtures, and test equipment for our vehicle development and testing programs
- Designing parts that are appropriate for machining, composites molding, welding, laser cutting, waterjet, forgings, etc.
- Providing operational feedback for the development and validation of aircraft CONOPs
- Working with our Flight Test team by participating in pre- and post-flight procedures and working in the Ground Control Station
- Being an expert of the test aircraft and it’s systems
- Building and executing integrated vehicle system test campaigns and associated processes
- Conducting flight tests as a member of the Flight Test team in the Ground Control Station
- Coordinating with multiple teams in support of vehicle test objectives
- Maintaining and creating vehicle test operation documentation and checklists
- Designing tests to validate aircraft performance and usability in its target application
Our ideal candidate:
- 5-7 years of Aerospace, Mechanical, or Electrical engineering experience directly pertaining to vehicle design or robotic systems, preferably in the UAV space
- Ability to work closely with engineering and other test personnel to design and execute complex tests and operations on fast-paced schedules
- Proficiency in data analysis with MATLAB, Python, or other scripting tools
- Experience with instrumentation and data acquisition systems (e.g. National Instruments / LabView)
- Hands-on experience with aircraft components and aircraft-related systems
- Belief and personal practice of strong safety culture through the use of SOPs
- Well-versed in a wide variety of production processes including, but not limited to, CNC machining best practices, 3D printing, waterjet and laser cutting, gluing and bonding, etc.
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in the applicable engineering field, or equivalent work experience
- Experience in operating new systems in an R&D environment
- Able to adapt to shifting priorities and goals
- Comfortable working on a small, multi-disciplinary team
Bonus points for:
- Experience with systems comprising a diverse set of hardware interfaces, communications buses, peripheral devices, and sensors
- Experience with the testing of large (1000lbs +) UAVs, VTOL aircraft, and/or crewed aircraft, complex robotics systems, automobiles, etc.
- Private Pilot or higher rating
- Remote Pilot certificate
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive pay + equity package
- Comprehensive insurance options for medical/dental/vision/long term disability/life + optional plans for commuter accounts, pet insurance, legal help, and more!
- Retirement planning: 401(k) with company contribution
- 3 months fully paid parental leave
- Highly flexible vacation policy- that we actually want you to use!
- Employee Assistance Program with 24/7 support
- Developing Employee Resource Groups (Affinity Groups) for underrepresented groups
- A kind, diverse, and highly skilled team
- You'll help define a new category of aerospace / logistics / robotics, and you'll work on novel and never-before-built systems
- As an early addition to a quickly growing team, you'll help shape and define company culture and values
- Flexible work arrangements (we understand you have a personal life)
Elroy Air's compensation package includes market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, and great benefits. If you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, our expected cash compensation for this role is $135,000 - $180,000. We are hiring for multiple levels and backgrounds so final offers may vary from the amounts listed based on experience, expertise, and other factors.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren't an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.