Senior Powertrain Control Engineer
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2023
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle-mile and needs faster, better solutions - while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
As a Senior Powertrain Control Engineer your primary responsibility will be the design and implementation of our vehicle’s powertrain supervisory controller system. You will be expected to execute from inception through to final stages of the product, including through the start of high-rate production. Based on the system-level performance requirements, you are expected to develop comprehensive controls system requirements, set up controller models to evaluate various controller architectures, develop test plans to ensure qualification and validation of the software, while addressing inadequate product performance if necessary. You are familiar with the components of high-power systems and have successfully worked on various powertrain systems from concept to production.
We envision this role as a full-time position in our San Francisco office, with some remote work/work-from-home flexibility. Some travel will be required including but not limited to visits to flight test locations and critical vendor visits.
What You’ll Own:
- Powertrain system supervisory controller for the Chaparral aircraft program
- Responsible for powertrain control algorithm design and software development
- Maintenance of powertrain control requirements and design specifications
- Develop system-level control models and simulations
- Ensure the reliability and robustness of the powertrain controls
- Develop and optimize control algorithms to meet performance and timing targets
- Develop and enhance existing vehicle model to ensure accurate predictions
- Conduct control design reviews to ensure high quality
- Develop test plans and checklists for powertrain controls bench, software-in-loop (SIL) and hardware-in-loop (HIL), and vehicle testing
- Ensure that each system change is appropriately approved, then scheduled and reviewed by stakeholders
- Ensure software release is on time and aligned with company schedule to deliver production ready powertrain controls software to vehicle assembly
- Collaborate with company software infrastructure group on Functional Safety (ISO-26262) activities
- Collaborate with various cross-functional teams across the company, such as Vehicle Test and Validation, Software, and Vehicle Engineering
- Collaborate with various cross-functional groups within the Powertrain team, including Battery Systems, Powertrain T&V, Powertrain Systems, Motor Electrical, etc.
- Lead or participate in the creation of vehicle performance calculations for possible design alternatives or for comparison to other vehicles
- Utilize diagnostic software tools to analyze data traffic in CAN bus systems for troubleshooting issues and verifying proper software functionality
- Provide technical assistance and support for prototype, pilot, and start of production programs, including the resolution of software issues and requests to accommodate improvements
Our Ideal Candidate:
- MS degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering, PhD preferred
- 8+ years of experience in embedded controls, controls integration, or relevant hardware areas in a post-academic, private company setting
- 5+ years of experience with powertrain control systems including design, implementation, test powertrain features, diagnostics, control functions and/or software development
- Have a thorough understanding of system-level fault responses, thermal controllers, design of observers, and so forth, as they pertain to modern high-voltage electric or hybrid electric powertrain systems
- Experience in electric vehicle systems specification, and model-in-the-loop (MIL) simulation, for high-voltage battery systems
- Solid knowledge in control theory
- Experience with model-based control development using MATLAB/Simulink
- Experience with creating test benches to perform unit testing and documentation of embedded control functions
- Experience with SIL and HIL real-time simulation systems
- Experience setting up Embedded Coder and Model Advisor for Simulink Models
- Experience setting up unit and MIL testing tools for Simulink models
- Proficiency in C/C++, and familiar with CAN networks, LIN networks, and Ethernet networks
- Familiar with requirements analysis and development
- Advanced understanding of DOE for concept, design, and process validation stages
- Failure analysis (FMEA), including validation testing and root cause analysis
- Strong background in the design and development of precision systems
- Demonstrated organizational skills and attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Good skills and knowledge of facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Excellent laboratory practices, record keeping and report writing
- Proactive self-starter, capable of multitasking along with the ability to excel in a small company environment
Elroy Air's compensation package includes market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, and great benefits. If you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, our expected cash compensation for this role is $140,000 - $220,000. We are hiring for multiple levels and backgrounds so final offers may vary from the amounts listed based on experience, expertise, and other factors.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren't an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.
See more open positions at Elroy Air
Something looks off?