Embedded Software Engineer, Simulation
South San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, April 25, 2023
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle-mile and needs faster, better solutions - while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
As an Embedded Software Engineer working on our HIL, you will empower your team members in flight software, controls, and autonomy by providing vertically integrated hardware-in-the-loop simulation capabilities. Specifically, you will be responsible for the design, architecture, and build of Elroy Air’s HIL platforms, as well as its seamless integration with the rest of our avionics and software stack.
This is an onsite, full-time, salaried, exempt role based in South San Francisco with some travel to our flight test facility in Byron, CA.
What you’ll do:
- Design, build, bring up, and maintain infrastructure needed for hardware, software, and system integration development and validation
- Work with multi-functional teams on test bench needs and use cases to craft scalable bench architectures and schematics, and improve utilization and efficiency
- Develop platform infrastructure to enable monitoring, visualization, and reporting
- Develop in-house tools to improve efficiency of test bench design
- Evolve systems by pushing for changes that improve reliability
- Capture and analyze system performance data for failure analysis and performance improvements
- Work closely with flight software and flight controls engineers to improve HIL system’s accessibility, stability, reliability, and scalability
- Develop, implement, and execute automated test fixtures and infrastructure to verify the functionality and robustness of released software
Our ideal candidate:
- 7+ years of work experience in mechanical, aerospace, electro-mechanical, automotive, robotics, or related industries
- Experience with designing HIL test systems
- Knowledge of object oriented design, C/C++, and Python programming
- Solid understanding of UNIX/Linux operating systems
- Comfortable with tools for PCB design such as Altium
- Understanding of network protocols, eg. CAN, UART, Ethernet, etc.
- Expertise with lab equipment including high speed oscilloscopes, logic analyzers, multimeters, etc.
- Strong work ethic, quality workmanship, and the ability to thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Experience with embedded real-time operating systems (bring-up, toolchain setup, driver configuration, abstraction layers, task scheduling, etc.)
- Experience translating system & subsystem requirements into test cases and test plans
Bonus points for:
- Experience in designing, developing, and deploying safety-critical software for real time systems, ideally on large-scale aerial platforms
- Experience with systems comprising a diverse set of hardware interfaces, communications buses, peripheral devices, and sensors
- Familiarity with aviation software certification standards & processes (e.g. DO-178)
- Experience in CI/CD pipeline configuration and deployment
What’s in it for you:
- Competitive pay + equity package
- Comprehensive insurance options for medical/dental/vision/long term disability/life + optional plans for commuter accounts, pet insurance, legal help, and more!
- Retirement planning: 401(k) with company contribution
- 3 months fully paid parental leave
- Highly flexible vacation policy- that we actually want you to use!
- Employee Assistance Program with 24/7 support
- Developing Employee Resource Groups (Affinity Groups) for underrepresented groups
- A kind, diverse, and highly skilled team
- You'll help define a new category of aerospace / logistics / robotics, and you'll work on novel and never-before-built systems
- As an early addition to a quickly growing team, you'll help shape and define company culture and values
- Flexible work arrangements (we understand you have a personal life)
Elroy Air's compensation package includes market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, and great benefits. If you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, our expected cash compensation for this role is $150,000 - $220,000. We are hiring for multiple levels and backgrounds so final offers may vary from the amounts listed based on experience, expertise, and other factors.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren't an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.
See more open positions at Elroy Air
Something looks off?