Flight Test Engineer
Software Engineering, Quality Assurance
Posted on Saturday, October 8, 2022
At Elroy Air, we build autonomous vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) cargo aircraft systems to change the way the world moves goods. Transporting cargo by air is faster and more efficient than by land or sea, but before recent technological and regulatory developments, it was prohibitively expensive. Today, we’re able to expand middle-mile logistics possibilities across multiple sectors. The commercial express shipping industry spends $140B annually on the middle-mile and needs faster, better solutions - while the armed forces are increasingly prioritizing unmanned aerial cargo delivery systems.
These partners and customers are already responding enthusiastically to the technologies we are pioneering. As we develop and deploy these systems, we are looking for people like you: motivated collaborators, excited by our mission and by the rare opportunity to improve how logistics works around the world. You will play an important role in establishing Elroy Air as the industry standard in this massive market.
Diverse perspectives at all levels are critical to innovation and employee development. We encourage our team to bring their whole selves to Elroy. This includes but is not limited to gender identity, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, age, ability, parenthood status, veteran status, educational background, citizenship status, or any combination of these characteristics.
As a Senior Flight Test Engineer you will be responsible for the building and execution of comprehensive test plans, participating in flight readiness reviews, conducting subsystem and fully integrated vehicle testing, monitoring real-time telemetry, performing flight data analysis, thoroughly documenting test results, and troubleshooting issues on Elroy’s autonomous cargo transport aircraft. You will work closely with our Vehicle Engineering, Industrial Design, Software, and Airborne teams to ensure complete test coverage.
This is an on-site, full-time, exempt role based out of our flight test facility in Byron, CA.
What You'll Own:
- Building and executing a flight test campaign and associated processes
- Building and executing test plans for vehicle vertical lift and propulsion subsystems
- Collaborating with members of the engineering team to design and build test fixtures
- Being an expert of the test aircraft and it’s systems
- Conducting flight tests as a primary member of the flight team in the Ground Control Station (GCS)
- Coordinating with multiple teams in support of flight test objectives
- Maintaining and creating flight test operation documentation and checklists
- Building and executing flight tests based on system changes
- Designing tests to validate aircraft performance and usability in its target application
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 5+ years experience in flight testing of crewed or uncrewed aircraft
- Ability to work closely with engineering and other test personnel to design and execute complex tests and operations on fast-paced schedules
- Proficiency in data analysis with MATLAB, Python, or other scripting tool(s)
- Belief and personal practice of strong safety culture through the use of SOPs
- Understanding of aerodynamics, aircraft performance, and/or digital flight controls
- Proficiency in Solidworks CAD software
- The ability to work and thrive in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
Bonus Points For:
- Experience with systems comprising a diverse set of hardware interfaces, communications buses, peripheral devices, and sensors
- Experience with flight testing of large (1000lbs +) UAVs, VTOL aircraft, and/or crewed aircraft
- Experience with first flight efforts of crewed or uncrewed aircraft
- Private Pilot or higher rating
- Remote Pilot certificate
What's In It For You:
- Competitive salary + equity package
- Comprehensive insurance options for medical/dental/vision/long term disability/life + optional plans for commuter accounts, pet insurance, legal help, and more!
- Retirement planning: 401(k) with company contribution
- 3 months fully paid parental leave
- Highly flexible vacation policy- that we actually want you to use!
- Employee Assistance Program with 24/7 support
- Developing Employee Resource Groups (Affinity Groups) for underrepresented groups
- You’ll work with a kind, diverse, and highly skilled team
- You'll help define a new category of aerospace / logistics / robotics, and you'll work on systems that have never been built before
- As an early member of a fast growing team, you'll help shape and define our company culture and values
- Flexible work arrangements (we understand you have a personal life)
Elroy Air's compensation package includes market competitive salary, equity for all full time roles, and great benefits. If you are located in the San Francisco Bay Area, our expected cash compensation for this role is $135,000 - $180,000. We are hiring for multiple levels and backgrounds so final offers may vary from the amounts listed based on experience, expertise, and other factors.
We encourage you to apply even if you aren't an exact match for our open role as many of our team members come from nontraditional backgrounds.
All employees will be screened through E-Verify.
This position will require access to information protected under U.S. export control laws and regulations, including Export Administration Regulations (EAR). Please note that any offer for employment will be conditioned on any required authorization to receive software or technology controlled under these U.S. export control laws and regulations necessary to perform the responsibilities of the position.
See more open positions at Elroy Air
Something looks off?