Senior Software Engineer, Fullstack
At Campus, we're on a mission to optimize the world’s teaching and learning.
We’ve assembled a world-class team of engineers, designers, and pedagogists to build an accredited, high quality, affordable alternative to traditional community college.
First, we built Campuswire (https://campuswire.com/platform) -- Campuswire is a powerful teaching tool for large, online classes. It’s used in tens of thousands of classes on 300+ campuses across the country and world (think schools like UCLA, Penn, Oxford and NYU).
Now, we’re using it to further build Campus (https://campus.org). Campus will be a place where students can complete their first two years of college affordably (or tuition debt free) while taking classes with the best teaching faculty in the country. Some of our professors are from UCLA, Berkeley, Spelman, NYU, and Princeton. Our goal is to dramatically increase community college completion rates while increasing pay for talented instructors.
We’re backed by an investor team that believes deeply in our vision for the future of education -- our investors include Sam Altman, Founders Fund, Bloomberg Beta, Precursor Ventures, Reach Capital, Rethink Education, Betaworks and others. We're also supported by a group of amazing angels including Jason Citron (CEO of Discord) and Rob Hayes.
We’re looking for a talented Senior Fullstack Software Engineer who has experience in React and Go to join our team and scale with us.
What you’ll do
In the first 6 months at Campus, you will:
- Join as an early employee (~15 folks) and take ownership of the codebase to produce amazing code that impacts over 300k users everyday
- Ship key features regularly that will make or break the company
- Work closely with mobile development teams (iOS + Android) to ship reusable React components and backend code that is stable even as we scale users
- Work closely with Engineering and Product leadership to improve and execute on processes as the company scales
- Rapidly bug-test and improve overall stability of the app for both frontend and backend
- Assist in roadmapping by bringing technical expertise to the table and innovating on easy solutions to hard problems
- Experiment with different plug-and-play libraries to speed up development, while also shipping end-to-end solutions that will give us extra control and scalability
- Build scalable engineering processes and practices
- Help hire and train engineering talent as the team grows
As an early startup employee, you will end up working on many more things than just what is listed above. In fact, we hope you bring to the table regular informed decisions on what you should be working on to drive the largest impact to the company and product.
You’ll fit right in at the Campus Engineering team if you are/have:
- 5+ years in building product across tech-stacks similar to React, WebSockets, Golang, GCP and Docker
- A self-starter who is very curious on improving things and brings fresh ideas that consider speed of shipping without compromising quality for users
- Experience shipping production-quality code that requires no oversight
- Experience working in pre-hyper growth startup environments
- Experience in scaling software as users grow
- Experience growing an engineering team by hiring and mentoring talent
- Keen on taking ownership of your features while working closely with Product and Design teams
Most importantly, we’re looking for someone who is mission-driven and is excited to work on very important problems while maintaining an emphasis on collaboration and team-work. Therefore, we encourage you to apply even if you don’t 100% fit the description.
New York City (in-office: Tue, Wed, Thu; remote: Mon, Fri)
- $120,000 - $160,000
- Up to 0.1% equity
- Compensation varies based on location and experience, NYC preferred
Campus celebrates and embraces diversity and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of experiences, backgrounds, and skills. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.