Engineering Manager, Data Science and Intelligence
Engineering Manager, Data Science and Intelligence
Brightflow AI is making cash management and forecasting accessible to the everyday business owner. Founded in Fall 2019, with the goal of democratizing finance, our rapidly growing and well-funded startup is in need of exceptional engineers to join us as we climb to the next level.
About the Role
As an engineering manager for Data Science and Intelligence group, you will partner across the Product Engineering org and represent the team as the data science and intelligence thought leader and set directions for the team to deliver innovative machine learning solutions using our huge reservoir of 1st party and 3rd party data. You will work with data analysts, ML engineers, data engineers, product managers and fellow engineering managers to turn machine learning models into business insights for our customers.
- Lead, influence and contribute across Data Science and Intelligence team to drive business value for Brightflow and our customers
- Collaborate closely with product and engineering stakeholders to drive strategic direction for Brightflow’s AI-enabled product and toolkits
- Work closely with Platform team to help shape and execute the brightflow's AI architecture
- Drive clarity for the team - break down larger ML initiatives into smaller problems that enables engineers to deliver incremental business value and lead the team to execute on them
- Work with financial advisers, product managers to deliver the bespoke data analytics solutions to VIP customers
- Incorporate up-to-date DS approach as best practices for the team
- Coach and mentor team members to be successful in their career growth
- Work and lead effectively in a dynamic, changing environment while focusing on key goals and objectives
Why you’ll love working here
First, working on interesting problems in a place for growth: Given the volatility of the market, our tool is addressing the pain point of small business owners. We are positioned to grow. The team is currently small and expanding, you can be influential.
Secondly, be with a great culture and great people: trust and psychological safety are high - you can expect to be challenged and given a place to do great work. Our culture fosters transparent, appreciative feedback, respect, and empathy.
The team is experienced and knowledgeable, strong finance experience (including Capital One, VC firms) and engineering backgrounds at multiple early-stage startups, and previous experience as founder and CEO of a YC startup.
What We’re Looking For
- 7+ years of working experience in Data Science, ML with 2+ years in managing roles
- Strong knowledge of underlying mathematical foundations of statistics and machine learning
- Demonstrated excellence in a relevant AI/ML discipline (NLP, etc.), including experience with ML model building with libraries such as Scikit, Tensorflow and PyTorch, significant experience in applying LLM. Have knowledge of fundamentals of machine learning, such as algorithm families (regression, classification, unsupervised), AB testing, hypothesis testing, and optimization
- Good balance between engineering mindsets and science methodology to enable creative problem solving
- Experience in managing both bespoke data solutions and data products and know how to convert the learning in bespoke solution to product
- Result oriented and has strong bias for action, experienced in collaborating with cross-functional teams and product stakeholders
- Strong communication skills, demonstrated through documentation and presentations. Able to present findings to senior management to inform business decisions
- Experience in mentoring and growing a data science and intelligence team
Beneficial but not required:
- Advanced degree in Data Science, Statistics, Applied Math, Computer Science, Engineering or other equivalent disciplines is a plus
- Prior success deploying machine learning solutions in large-scale production environments
- Familiar with AWS machine learning stack
- Experience with visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, Looker Studio, PowerBI, Hex)
- Knowledge about data engineering stacks - spark, airflow or Glue
Our salary ranges are calculated by role, level and geo-location. Your position within that range will be determined by your job-related knowledge, skills, experience, relevant education, and training/certifications. In addition to those factors, we also examine internal equity as well as consider current market rate, and title may be assessed one level lower or higher accordingly. After you join the company your performance, contributions, and results along with business and organizational needs will affect your base salary. The base salary range for this full-time position is between $163,000-$235,000 + equity + benefits for a hire located in the San Francisco Bay-Area.
About Our Team
We’ve learned from firsthand experience that the most effective teams are composed of highly diverse individuals from all walks of life. It’s in those pivotal moments in challenging situations that we’ve been consistently surprised by the ingenuity and unexpected skills our teammates bring to the table. At Brightflow AI, we all play a key role and encourage crossover into all areas of the business that interest you. This is a set of values that lies at our very core as individuals. If you share the same desire for a warm, welcoming environment surrounded by awesome, talented people, we encourage you to apply! We’re constantly learning and doing what we can to support and assist each other in growing both personally and professionally.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin/ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran status, disability status, marital status, medical condition, or any other legally protected status.
About Brightflow AI
Brightflow AI is honored to be featured on the inaugural 2022 SMBTech 50 List recognizing "the growth and potential of startups that serve small and medium-sized businesses," as announced by GGV Capital, Crunchbase, and Nasdaq.
Even companies that are growing revenue, surpassing sales goals, and expanding rapidly may be at risk of their cash running out. That’s where we come in. Brightflow AI gives companies the data they need to make timely and data-driven decisions about cash flow, growth opportunities, inventory, and more. We serve as their finance team to enable their continued growth and allow them to remain focused on delighting their customers.
We’ve experienced firsthand the pain and difficulty in accessing good financial data–it’s this need that drove the creation of Brightflow AI. To date, we’ve raised capital, built the software, served our initial customer base, and begun iterating on every step of the process, from forecasting to financing. We’re proud to create solutions that help level the financial playing field for businesses of all sizes and financial situations.
Our team members have backgrounds that include previous VC-backed startups (as founders, managers, and first engineers), established tech companies, private-equity and venture finance, banking, and running our own software companies. We live and work in a mix of countries and speak numerous languages; yet, we have a common interest in understanding our customers’ needs and delivering solutions that solve real problems.
We provide a high degree of ownership and autonomy in an inclusive, supportive culture. We encourage a growth mindset and foster transparent, appreciative feedback, respect, and empathy. Read more about our values at https://bit.ly/brightflow-values, then join us in our mission to simplify our customers’ finances and help them succeed. Apply now.