Lead Backend Software Engineer, Data
Portland, OR, USA · Remote
Posted on Wednesday, May 3, 2023
AnyRoad is the leader in experiential marketing software. We were founded on the belief that real-life, in-person experiences offer brands invaluable opportunities to build long-lasting relationships with their consumers, ultimately creating a community of brand advocates and accelerating revenue growth.
AnyRoad offers the only unified platform for experiential marketing that effectively connects back-end processes like booking, ticketing, payments, and more, with first-party data capture, consumer feedback, and analytics. Armed with our platform, leading brands across various industries are able to streamline and scale their event operations, drive continuous improvements in their strategy with actionable insights, and increase the return on investment from every experience.
About The Role
We are looking for a Lead Backend Data Engineer to join our Data Analytics Platform team. At AnyRoad, our platform is used by some of the largest brands in the world (Ben & Jerrys, Dick's Sporting Goods, Nestle, North Face, Beam Suntory) to offer experiences (classes, tours, events) to their customers, everyday consumers like you. The Data Analytics Platform team is building our rich data analytics functionality leveraging Natural Language Processing (NLP), and ML-derived actionable insights, and developing business intelligence tooling that help our customers understand and improve their experiential marketing programs. In this role, you will be responsible for implementation, guiding architectural decisions, technology partnership decisions and working closely with our product and integrations team.
Our Experiential Marketing Platform is used to power in-person and online experiences for some of the largest brands (e.g. Diageo, Michaels Canada, Just Eggs, North Face, Ben & Jerry's). With already over 1.2 million experiences per year being delivered using the AnyRoad platform, the opportunity to drive deeper insights, and connect to external data sources (CDPs, CRMs, POS systems) is tremendous.
This role can be based out of our San Francisco or Portland office, or remotely in the US.
What You’ll Do:
- Work with engineering peers to architect AnyRoad’s data analytics platform and lay the foundation for actionable insights through ML
- Design and build a scalable and performant data pipeline that can ingest and enrich data from both AnyRoad and external systems (e.g POS, CRM, CDP, etc.)
- Design rich data functionality that powers responsive analytic dashboards at scaleLeverage the latest technologies such as Fivetran, Matillion, Stitch, Kafka, Flume and Snowflake to not only connect data but enrich data as it’s ingested from various sources
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes for platform APIs
- Shape future-proof interfaces that are easy to build against and meet the requirements of internal product teams and customers
What We're Looking For:
- 6+ years designing, building and deploying rich data web applications at scale
- 2+ years of experience designing data pipelines
- Deep understanding of data pipelines and enrichment and how to architect and build modern data backends with user experience forethought
- Familiarity with technologies such as Kafka, Flume, OpenAI, GPT-3
- Excellent written communication (design docs, specs, documentation, code reviews, post-mortems)
- Experienced in architectural patterns of large, high-scale web application backends (e.g., well-designed APIs, extensible data models, resiliency, high-volume data pipelines, efficient algorithms)
- Ability to provide guidance on the technical direction of strategic initiatives
- Ability to champion coding best practices, observability, quality, and performance
- Significant experience with relational database systems (e.g PostgreSQL), NoSQL systems (e.g. DynamoDB, Redis)
- A high degree of competence with Ruby on Rails – or a comparable backend (e.g. python/Django)
- Passion to stay current with the latest technology trends and bring the best to the team
- An inclination towards selflessness, collaboration, communication, inclusion, and visibilityProficiency in writing automated test coverage
Projects You Might Work On:
- Work with the Data Analytics Platform team to build a scalable data ingestion pipeline that can serve as the basis for our rich data analytics platform.
- Enhance our Natural Language Processing (NLP) Engine which leverages OpenAI to extract themes and actionable insights from attendee feedbackIngest data from Point of Sale (POS) Systems and correlate it to the experiential guest information in AnyRoad
- Build ML models that leverage experiential data (guest, demographic, purchase, feedback information) to provide actionable insights
- Work across engineering teams to design, build-out and drive adoption of our Data Analytics Platform interfaces.
Why Join Us?
- Ground-floor opportunity at a fast-growing company in which you’ll immediately and directly impact the company’s future.
- We are a small, talented, and agile team working hard to define a new product category and having fun doing it.
- Diversity and inclusion are integral to our company's values and growth. We are proud to be a gender-balanced organization and actively encourage applications from underrepresented communities.
- Backed by prominent investors such as a16z, Runa Capital, BlackRock, and Kaiser Permanente.
- We are a leader in our space and work with some of the world’s leading brands.
- Competitive salary, equity, benefits, and perks.
- Hybrid & remote work environments. We have offices in the US and a presence across EMEA, including an office in Greece.
- Emphasis on growth and opportunities for learning and development.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
AnyRoad is proud to be an equal-opportunity employer committed to an inclusive and diverse workplace. We are committed to considering all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law. If you require accommodation during the job application process, please notify email@example.com for support.
See more open positions at AnyRoad
Something looks off?