Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2023
We exist to accelerate innovation by increasing the number of successful startups in the world. We want to give more people the opportunity to participate in the venture economy by building the financial infrastructure that makes it possible for more people to invest in world changing startups, and build tools for startups that help them run their operations so they can focus on building.
AngelList is the nexus of venture capital and the startup community. We support over $14B+ in assets under management. We’ve driven capital to over 12,000 startups, almost 282 of which are unicorns. 57% of top-tier U.S. VC deals involve investors on AngelList.
While our scale is large, our ambitions are even larger – we’re innovating on the financial infrastructure for venture investors and the startups they invest in. Come build with us.
About the Role:
AngelList is looking for an exceptional attorney to help AngelList continue innovating on the infrastructure of the startup and venture capital ecosystem.
Our strategy of building a scalable, innovative platform that reduces the friction to forming, managing, and investing in funds has enabled us to own the early-stage venture market. Expanding from serving funders to founders, we recently launched AngelList Stack, an integrated solution for startup incorporation, banking, fundraising, and equity management. In this role, you will work collaboratively and with a high degree of agency to develop new and innovative products for GPs, LPs, and Founders.
The ideal candidate is excited for the opportunity to bring their deep securities and regulatory expertise and builder mindset to create novel and scalable solutions for the startup ecosystems’ most exciting challenges, from innovative fund structures to crypto to retail access to liquidity.
AngelList pioneered the online syndicate model, created scalable funds, developed diversified managed-fund products, recently launched AngelList Stack....and we are just getting started. We are growing our business and team exponentially and want an exceptional legal leader to join our team to help lay the groundwork for the next decade.
- Counsel AngelList product teams on a range of issues related to new and existing products, including product structuring and implementation, regulatory compliance, marketing and servicing communications, intellectual property, data security and data privacy.
- Actively collaborate with a wide variety of AngelList teams, including product, engineering, business development, compliance, and marketing, on a range of issues related to product development and commercialization.
- Help build scalable and effective processes to enable the business to self help.
- Draft, review, and update foundational documents for product and service offerings.
- Participate as a proactive business partner to senior managers and build a trusted advisor relationship.
- A JD degree from an ABA accredited university and be in good standing with the applicable state(s) Bar.
- A minimum of 6 years combined relevant experience in the EC/VC or fund group, a top law firm, and/or in-house legal team at a high-growth FinTech company.
- Deep expertise in the range of securities laws impacting venture funds and FinTech platforms more generally, including the Securities Act, Exchange Act, Investment Company Act, Investment Advisers Act, and FINRA Rules.
- Strong understanding of the venture capital ecosystem.
- Excellent strategic thinking, solid judgment, and the willingness to work with business partners to make decisions that are grounded in a practical application of the law, the technology, and the business goals.
- Collaborative outlook and ability to work cross-functionality with different departments.
- A deep love of startups (https://venturehacks.com/save-the-world).
If you don’t tick every box above, we’d still encourage you to apply. We’re building a diverse team whose skills balance and complement one another.
AngelList has offices in three hub cities: San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City that you can choose to work from. We’re focused on hiring within these hubs and people within 1 hour travel distance of the hub offices are expected to come into the office twice per week. From time to time, we will make rare exceptions for new hires if they need to be fully remote.
Benefits: We support our employees in their lives both inside and outside of work.
* See additional detail on our benefits here: https://angell.ist/venture-benefits
* Learn about our Funders & Founders Program here: https://join.angellist.com/
Learn more about what AngelList has accomplished by checking out some recent things we’ve published over the last six months: AngelList Year in Review 2022 (https://www.angellist.com/2022) and AngelList Confidential 2022 (https://angell.ist/ALC2022).
AngelList is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.