Venture Counsel - IOS Lead
Software Engineering, Legal
Posted on Friday, August 25, 2023
We exist to accelerate innovation by increasing the number of successful startups in the world. We want to give more people the opportunity to participate in the venture economy by building the financial infrastructure that makes it possible for more people to invest in world changing startups, and build tools for startups that help them run their operations so they can focus on building.
AngelList is the nexus of venture capital and the startup community. We support over $14B+ in assets under management. We’ve driven capital to over 12,000 startups, almost 282 of which are unicorns. 57% of top-tier U.S. VC deals involve investors on AngelList.
While our scale is large, our ambitions are even larger – we’re innovating on the financial infrastructure for venture investors and the startups they invest in. Come build with us.
About the Role:
We are looking for a lawyer with a business mindset who has deep transactional experience in the venture capital and startup space to lead the portfolio management service area for the world’s largest portfolio of early-stage venture capital investments. As a Team Lead on our Investment Operations Team, you will drive the review and execution of portfolio company transactions on behalf of our funds, lead a team of operators, and build the systems and processes needed to enable fund managers to navigate their portfolios throughout the lifecycle of their portfolio companies. You will report to our Director of Investment Operations.
This is a crossover role specifically for those looking to make the jump from law into the business world, and it represents a foundational part of AngelList and Belltower’s Investment Operations Team. The ideal candidate will have a track record that demonstrates an understanding of core legal and financial concepts that will allow them to quickly master all aspects of venture transactions (from financings to M&A and public listings) and the ability to operate in a rapidly growing financial technology setting. We are looking for a detail-oriented, organized, and structured manager who will provide exceptional service to our GPs and LPs behind the scenes by making their experience using our platform and navigating complex transactions seamless. In this role, you will be expected to manage a team of operators and legal contractors, negotiate with portfolio companies, address escalations from customers, provide legal and economic analysis to GPs, and build world-class operational infrastructure for the portfolio management service area.
- Build operations and develop scalable and innovative solutions to help manage our rapidly growing portfolio of early-stage investments.
- Coordinate cross-functionally with other AngelList teams, including product and engineering, to productize existing portfolio management offerings.
- Manage the review and execution of portfolio company actions related to venture financings, IPOs, mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate actions.
- Provide legal subject matter expertise on transactional matters when needed.
- Develop systems to better leverage the data that flows through the AngelList platform.
- Engage with some of the top venture investors in the world on a daily basis.
- Own day-to-day execution KPIs & SLAs for our most important Distribution & Payments related Services.
- Handle Escalations and Exceptions as they arise within the service area.
- Continually identify and implement process improvements to improve our ability to deliver value to fund managers & their portfolio companies.
- JD & minimum of 3-6 years of transactional legal experience with focus on VC investor and/or startup company representation.
- Excellent business sense and the ability to communicate complex legal matters clearly to non-experts.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to think in a systems-based way. We oversee a portfolio of investments in the thousands. It can only be managed systematically.
- Deep and detailed understanding of VC legal structures -- both on the fund and investment side.
- Willingness to get your hands dirty. Continual improvement means filling gaps and being hands-on in making sure all legal and operations functions are executed at the highest level.
- Great attitude and the ability to embrace regular change as we continually improve products and processes.
- Demonstrated performance excellence: We’re looking for the best of the best!
If you don’t tick every box above, we’d still encourage you to apply. We’re building a diverse team whose skills balance and complement one another.
AngelList has offices in three hub cities: San Francisco, Seattle, and New York City that you can choose to work from. We’re focused on hiring within these hubs and people within 1 hour travel distance of the hub offices are expected to come into the office twice per week. From time to time, we will make rare exceptions for new hires if they need to be fully remote.
Benefits: We support our employees in their lives both inside and outside of work.
* See additional detail on our benefits here: https://angell.ist/venture-benefits
* Learn about our Funders & Founders Program here: https://join.angellist.com/
Learn more about what AngelList has accomplished by checking out some recent things we’ve published over the last six months: AngelList Year in Review 2022 (https://www.angellist.com/2022) and AngelList Confidential 2022 (https://angell.ist/ALC2022).
AngelList is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.